Election Area: Dang-4
Central Secretary of CPN-UML Shankar Pokhrel was born in 1964 in Bijauri, Dang. Son of Keshav Raj and Tilka Devi, Pokhrel's family includes his wife and two daughters. His elder brother Devi Pokhrel is the CPN-UML's National Representative Council member and his wife Sujita Shakya is the central secretary of All Nepal Women Association. He holds a MBA degree from the Tribhuvan University. He is contesting from Dang-4 in the CA Election 2013 representing CPN-UML.
He came into politics by joining the student protest of 1979. He was involved in ANNFSU and later became the president of the organization. He was the founder president of All India Nepali Free Student Union in India. He also became the FSU chairman of the Central Campus, Tribhuvan University in 1989. He also worked as Kathmandu Valley Committee member of CPN-UML. He was elected as central member of the UML from 1998 till 2008.
Pokhrel was elected as Member of Parliament in the legislative election of 1994 from Dang-3. In 2008, he was inducted to the CA via PR system. He was also appointed as Minister for Information and Communications.
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
- Voting concludes in CA Election with about 70 pc voter turnout
- Four centenarians vote in Baitadi of far-west
- CPN-Maoist loot ballot boxes, voting postponed in Jumla
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.