Surya Man Dong Tamang was born on April 20, 1970 in Khavrepalanchok, Khotang. Son of Iman Singh Dong and Maili Maya Tamang, he is from a peasant family.
Joined politics in 1984 from CPN-Masal, he remained underground from 1995 immediately after the initial phase of the armed conflict period.
In the first Constituent Assembly Election of 2008, he was elected from Kavre-1 with 27,471 votes, defeating Lama of CPN-UML. Lama received 8,407 votes while another opponent Madhu Prasad Acharya of NC received 7,212 votes.
He served as a central chairman to Tamang National Liberation Forum, sister organization of CPN-Maoist. Known as Laldhoj within the party, Tamang was appointed as a State Minister for Energy during Puspa Kamal Dahal Prachand led government.
Tamang is named as a suspect in a First Information Report (FIR) registered by the police in 2008 regarding the alleged abduction and killing of Arjun Lama in 2005. Despite the criticism, Dr. Babu Ram Bhattarai led government withdrew hundreds of the war time political crime cases filed against the Maoist leaders like CPN-Maoist chairman Puspa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachand’ , then PM and Maoist leader Dr. Babu Ram Bhattarai , including Tamang’s case also.
He has three daughters and a son.
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
- Voting concludes in CA Election with about 70 pc voter turnout
- Four centenarians vote in Baitadi of far-west
- CPN-Maoist loot ballot boxes, voting postponed in Jumla
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.